World Osteoporosis Day 2023 and Menopause highlights “the importance of a bone-healthy lifestyle” and explains the association between menopause and bone loss.
World Osteoporosis Day 2023 Campaign
What is the 2023 World Osteoporosis Day Campaign on October 20?
“With this year’s tagline of ‘Build Better Bones’, IOF will highlight the importance of a bone-healthy lifestyle as the foundation for strong bones and a mobile, fracture-free future. New posters and related resources and communications will urge the public and patients to build better bones by ensuring:
- Regular weight-bearing & muscle-strengthening exercise
- A nutritious bone-healthy diet and adequate vitamin D
- No smoking and avoiding excessive alcohol intake”.
Is there an association between menopause and bone loss?
- “When women go through menopause, there is a rapid loss of bone because of decreased oestrogen and this process may last from 4-8 years after menopause
- After this period of time the rate of bone loss is reduced and stabilises”.
Is there an association between premature menopause and bone loss?
- Premature menopause (before age 40)
- Early menopause (before age 45)
- Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI), formerly called “primary ovarian failure
- Medical menopause, whether surgically induced or as a result of medical treatment, like chemotherapy”.
Is there an association between postmenopause and osteoporosis?
On page one in Management of Osteoporosis In Postmenopausal Women: The 2021 Position Statement of the North American Menopause Society: Abstract – Results the North American Menopause Society elaborate on:
“Postmenopausal bone loss, related to estrogen deficiency, is the primary contributor to osteoporosis. Other important risk factors for postmenopausal osteoporosis include advanced age, genetics, smoking, thinness, and many diseases and drugs that impair bone health. An evaluation of these risk factors to identify candidates for osteoporosis screening and recommending nonpharmacologic measures such as good nutrition (especially adequate intake of protein, calcium, and vitamin D), regular physical activity, and avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption are appropriate for all postmenopausal women”.
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Health Topics related to World Osteoporosis Day 2023 and Menopause?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find:
Where may I find Links related to World Osteoporosis Day 2023 and Menopause?
Your Country may have Links similar to: