Have you been prescribed antidepressants to treat hot flushes or hot flashes even though you may not feel depressed? Antidepressants are another option to treat hot flushes.
Antidepressants for Hot Flushes
Can antidepressants be prescribed to treat hot flushes or hot flashes?
On page two in Menopause: What Can You Do To Help With the Menopause? the (Australian) Jean Hailes for Women’s Health (JH) explain:
- “If you cannot take MHT, other medications such as antidepressants – selective serotonin (SSRIs) or norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) – and a chronic pain medicine can reduce hot flushes”.
In Non-Hormonal Treatment Options for Menopausal Symptoms the Australasian Menopause Society elaborate on:
- Venlaxafine (a Serotonin-Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitor or SRNI)
- Escitalopram and Paroxetine (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors or SSRIs)”.
SSRIs and SNRIs
What are Selective Serotonin-Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and Serotonin-Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs)?
In Menopause FAQS: Hot Flashes – Q. Are there treatments for hot flashes? the North American Menopause Society elaborate on:
In Menopause Management: Non-Hormonal Prescription Medications – Antidepressants the JH explain:
In Hot Flashes: Diagnosis & Treatment – Treatment: Antidepressants the (United States) Mayo Clinic elaborate on:
- Venlafaxine (Effexor XR)
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
These medications aren’t as effective as hormone therapy for severe hot flashes, but they can be helpful to women who can’t use hormones. Possible side effects include nausea, difficulty sleeping or drowsiness, weight gain, dry mouth or sexual dysfunction”.
Hot Flushes + Depression
Do antidepressants used to help manage hot flushes also treat depression?
In Hot Flashes: What Can I Do? Non-Hormonal Medications To Treat Hot Flashes the (United States) National Institute on Aging note:
Health Care Provider
What if I would like to try an antidepressant to treat my hot flushes or hot flashes?
In Hot Flashes: What Can I Do? Non-Hormonal Medications To Treat Hot Flashes the NIA explain:
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Health Topics related to Antidepressants for Hot Flushes?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find:
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Links related to Antidepressants for Hot Flushes?
Your Country may have Links similar to:
LinksThis Links List to third party websites is neither comprehensive nor exhaustive. Inclusion on this Links List does not imply endorsement or recommendation. Non-inclusion on this Links List does not imply non-endorsement or non-recommendation. Third party websites are not under the control of Meno Martha International Menopause Directory. Third party websites may contain explicit medical images and/or sexual references. Please read Meno Martha International Menopause Directory’s Links Policy before proceeding to a Link. Please contact Webmaster if you experience a problem with a Link.
- Askearlymenopause.org [Ask EM] [+ Video: What Is Early Menopause?]
- Certain Antidepressants Taken for Hot Flashes Linked To Higher Risk of Breaking A Bone
- Complementary and Herbal Therapies for Hot Flushes
- Complementary/Alternative Therapies for Menopausal Women: Non Hormonal Prescribed Treatments
- Depression Medicines To Help You – Selective Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Depression Medicines: Medicine for Depression – Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Find A Menopause Practitioner [United States and Other]
- Find An AMS Doctor [Australasian Menopause Society i.e. Australia and New Zealand]
- Find Your Nearest BMS Menopause Specialist [British Menopause Society]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): Alternatives – Antidepressants
- Hot Flash Medications for Women With Breast Cancer
- Hot Flashes
- Hot Flashes: Diagnosis & Treatment – Treatment: Antidepressants
- Hot Flashes: What Can I Do? Non-Hormonal Medications To Treat Hot Flashes
- Later Years (Around 50 Years and Over): Menopause and Post Menopause Health – Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) [+ Video: Is HRT Bad for You?]
- Managing Menopausal Symptoms—Hormone Replacement Therapy Is Not the Only Option!
- Mayo Clinic Minute: Help With Hot Flashes Due To Menopause [+ Video]
- Mayo Clinic Minute: Lifestyle Changes To Manage Menopause Symptoms [+ Video]
- Menopause FAQS: Hot Flashes – Q. Are There Treatments for Hot Flashes?
- Menopause Map: My Personal Path Print Tools – Questions for Your Health Care Provider
- Menopause: Medicines To Help You
- Non-Hormonal Treatment Options for Menopausal Symptoms: Antidepressants
- NonHormonal Treatments for Menopausal Symptoms: Antidepressants
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Using Natural Therapies In the Menopause Transition – Webinar
- Video Series-2021: How Menopause Symptoms Can Affect Your Quality of Life
- Video Series-2021: What Women Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
- Video Series-2022: Hormone Therapy: Understanding the Risks and Benefits
- Video Series-2022: New Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms Are Around the Corner