Menopause and Sexuality explains evidence-based solutions for when we feel low libido or vaginal dryness or painful intercourse impact our sexuality.
What is sexuality?
Depending on the Source (DotS) the definition of sexuality may vary. In Sexuality and Intimacy In older Adults, content reviewed: 18 April 2022, the (United States) National Institute on Aging’s (NIA) definition is:
What is libido?
Depending on the Source (DotS) the definition of low libido may vary. In Libido: What Is Libido? the (Australian) Jean Hailes for Women’s Health (JH) definition is:
Low Libido and Testosterone Therapy
Can low libido be treated with testosterone therapy?
The video Testosterone Explained (Reviewed: 1 March 2023) includes:
What is vaginal dryness?
DotS the definition of vaginal dryness may vary. In Vaginal Dryness After Menopause: How To Treat It?, published 07 December 2022, the (United States) Mayo Clinic elaborate on:
Vaginal Dryness Treatment Options
What are some vaginal dryness treatment options?
In Vaginal Dryness: Treatment Options, published 2022, the North American Menopause Society elaborate on:
- “Nonhormone Remedies
- Vaginal Lubricants…
- Vaginal Moisturizers…
- Regular Sexual Stimulation…
- Expanding Your Views of Sexual Pleasure…
- Vaginal Dilators…
- Pelvic Floor Exercises…
- Vaginal Hormone Therapy…
- Low-dose local estrogen…
- FDA-approved low-dose vaginal estrogen products…
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA; Prasterone)
- Low-dose vaginal estrogen or DHEA and a history breast or uterine cancer…
- Systemic Estrogen Therapy
- Other Therapies…
- Vaginal Laser Therapy…”.
What is painful intercourse?
In Sex and Menopause: Treatment for Symptoms – Sex Is Becoming Painful: What Can I Do? content reviewed: 30 September 2021, the NIA elaborate on:
Health Care Provider
What if I experience low libido or vaginal dryness or painful intercourse?
In Vaginal Atrophy: Symptoms & Causes – Symptoms: When To See A Doctor the Mayo Clinic note:
Also make an appointment to see your doctor if you experience painful intercourse that’s not resolved by using a vaginal moisturizer (K-Y Liquibeads, Replens, Sliquid, others) or water-based lubricant (Astroglide, K-Y Jelly, Sliquid, others)”.
In Libido: Managing & Treating Low Libido – Seek Advice the JH elaborate on:
- Treatment for any underlying illness or medical condition
- Lifestyle changes and stress management
- Herbal remedies (see an accredited naturopath)
- Hormone therapy (if appropriate)
- Medication changes
- Antidepressants (certain antidepressants may be more suitable, others can reduce libido)
- Stress management
- Couples counselling
- Counselling with a therapist who specialised in sexual concerns”.
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Health Topics related to Menopause and Sexuality?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find:
Health Topics A-Z
- Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause
- Hormone Therapy
- Hormone Therapy and Vaginal Dryness
- Hormone Therapy and Vaginal Estrogen
- Sexual Health and Libido
- Sexual Health and Menopause
- Sexual Health and Painful Intercourse
- Testosterone Therapy for Women
- Vaginal Atrophy
- Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginal and Vulval Treatment Options
Where may I find Links related to Menopause and Sexuality?
Your Country may have Links similar to:
LinksThis Links List to third party websites is neither comprehensive nor exhaustive. Inclusion on this Links List does not imply endorsement or recommendation. Non-inclusion on this Links List does not imply non-endorsement or non-recommendation. Third party websites are not under the control of Meno Martha International Menopause Directory. Third party websites may contain explicit medical images and/or sexual references. Please read Meno Martha International Menopause Directory’s Links Policy before proceeding to a Link. Please contact Webmaster if you experience a problem with a Link.
- Askearlymenopause.org [Ask EM] [+ Video: What Is Early Menopause?]
- BMS Statement on Testosterone
- BMS TV: Testosterone Explained
- Deciding About Hormone Therapy Use
- Painful Intercourse (Dyspareunia)
- Find A Menopause Practitioner [United States and Other]
- Find An AMS Doctor [Australasian Menopause Society i.e. Australia and New Zealand]
- Find Your Nearest BMS Menopause Specialist [British Menopause Society]
- How Do I Deal With Vaginal Atrophy? — Ask Dr Jean
- I Forgot To Ask the Doctor – E9: The Menopause: Can Every Woman That Wants It Have HRT?
- Information for Partners: Sex and Menopause
- Joint Position Statement By the British Menopause Society, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and Society for Endocrinology on Best Practice Recommendations for the Care of Women Experiencing the Menopause
- Later Years (Around 50 Years and Over): Menopause and Post Menopause Health – Sexual Wellbeing and Intimacy During and After Menopause [+ Video: Menopause Is the End of Your Sex Life]
- Libido and Testosterone Therapy – Podcast
- Libido and Testosterone Therapy – Video
- Looking After Yourself: Sex and Relationships
- Menopause Preparedness Toolkit Video Series: Common Conditions Associated With Menopause and Midlife
- Menopause Ruining Your Sex Life?
- Menopause Symptoms: Mayo Clinic Expert Outlines Hormone and Nonhormonal Therapies
- Menopause Treatments: What Works, What Doesn’t
- Menopause – Information for Partners – Fact Sheet: Sex and Menopause
- Navigating Menopause: Expert Insights and Solutions | Dr Susan Davis | The Proof Podcast EP 245
- Painful Sex (Dyspareunia)
- Perimenopause and Menopause Symptom Checklist
- Sex and Menopause: Treatment Symptoms [+ Video: What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Menopause?]
- Sexual Difficulties In the Menopause
- Sexuality and Intimacy In Older Adults
- Testosterone Therapy In Women: Does It Boost Sex Drive?
- Testosterone for Women: Why Use Testosterone?
- Tips To Help Manage Menopause Symptoms
- Using Natural Therapies In the Menopause Transition – Webinar
- Vaginal Dryness
- Video Series-2021: Common Issues Surrounding Sexuality and Menopause
- Video Series-2022: Discussing Sexual Health Concerns With Your Health Care Professional
- “We’re Just Tired”: Influences on Sexual Activity Among Male-Partnered Women In Midlife; A Mixed Method Study
- What Everyone Should Know About Menopause Symptoms
- What Happens If A Woman Takes Viagra?
- Why Didn’t Anyone Tell Me This? Episode 3: Dr Annice Mukherjee: Your Essential Menopause Toolkit
- Yes, You Can Have Better Sex In Midlife and In the Years Beyond