“A sleep diary allows you to record
when you went to bed, woke during the night,
and woke in the morning”.1
What may the Sleep Umbrella include?
Depending on the Source (DotS) this Umbrella may include:
- Sleep Diary/Journal/Log
- Sleep Pattern
- Sleep Routine
Look for A Pattern
In Sleep Diary the American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s (AASM) Sleep Education website, the AASM elaborate on:
A sleep diary allows you to record when you went to bed, woke during the night, and woke in the morning. This will help you understand your sleep pattern and how much sleep you’re getting. It also will show how often you have disrupted sleep.
A sleep diary also will help you note certain activities that can affect your sleep. You will track the time of day when you exercise, nap, or take a medication. You also will record the time when you have caffeine or alcohol.
This information will give your health care provider an overview of your sleep schedule. It also may reveal other factors that are causing a sleep problem. Examples include drinking caffeine or taking naps late in the day”.2
What triggers may result in insufficient sleep?
In Sleep Problems and Menopause: What Can I Do? Getting A Good Night’s Sleep During the Menopausal Transition the (United States) National Institute on Aging elaborate on:
- “Exercise at regular times each day but not close to bedtime
- Avoid eating large meals close to bedtime
- Stay away from caffeine (found in many coffees, teas, and chocolate) late in the day
- Remember, alcohol won’t help you sleep. Even small amounts make it harder to stay asleep”.3
Health Care Provider
What if I would like help to look for a pattern with my sleep?
If you would like help to look for a pattern with your sleep, it may be in your best interest to choose to talk to your health care provider about this. Together you can identify any patterns, discuss your options and if required, agree on who may be the most appropriate health care provider to help you.
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Health Topics A-Z related to Sleep Pattern?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find:
Where may I find Links related to Sleep Pattern?
Your Country may have Links similar to:
Where may I find the Sources quoted?
You may find the Sources quoted at:
- Sleep Diary. Updated March 2021. American Academy of Sleep Medicine https://sleepeducation.org/resources/sleep-diary/ Accessed: 05 September 2023
- Sleep Diary. Updated: March 2021. American Academy of Sleep Medicine https://sleepeducation.org/resources/sleep-diary/ Accessed: 05 September 2023
- Sleep Problems and Menopause: What Can I Do? Getting A Good Night’s Sleep During the Menopausal Transition. Content Reviewed: 30 September 2021. National Institute on Aging https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/sleep-problems-and-menopause-what-can-i-do Accessed: 05 September 2023