“Sexual health is “…a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity”.1
What may the Sexual Health Umbrella include?
Depending on the Source (DotS) this Umbrella may include:
- Sexual Health
What is sexual health?
DotS the definition of sexual health may vary. In Sexual Health: Definitions – Sexual Health the World Health Organization’s (WHO) current working definition (2006) of sexual health is:
““…a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity. Sexual health requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence. For sexual health to be attained and maintained, the sexual rights of all persons must be respected, protected and fulfilled.”(WHO, 2006a)”.2
What the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) note about defining sexual health?
“Each person has his or her own standard of what sexual health or satisfaction is, based on his or her individual culture, background, personal sexual experiences, and biological makeup. This individual variation seems to be especially strong among women”.3
What are factors that can affect sexual health?
In Sexual Health: Summary according to the (United States) MedlinePlus:
- Fear of unplanned pregnancy
- Concerns about infertility
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Chronic diseases such as cancer or heart disease
- Medicines that affect sexual desire or performance”.4
The (United States) Mayo Clinic also note:
“Over time, couples may find that their sexual needs change or get out of sync. Many factors can affect sexual desire, from stress, illness and aging to family, career and social commitments. When sexual issues arise, be open and honest with your partner about your needs and concerns. If your difficulties persist, it may be helpful to discuss your feelings with a counselor”.5
Women’s Sexual Health
Why does women’s sexual health matter?
In Women’s Sexual Health Matters the (United States) Patty Brisben Foundation for Women’s Sexual Health elaborate on:
“It matters because it impacts all women, and it impacts our quality of life. It has an effect on our overall health and wellness, and directly contributes to self-image and confidence. It helps to shape how we view and enjoy intimacy, affecting our relationships and families”.6
Health Care Provider
What if I would like help with my sexual health?
If you would like help with your sexual health it may be in your best interest to choose to talk to your health care provider about this.
In Sexual Health & Menopause Online the NAMS reassure:
“Sex and menopause are totally appropriate subjects for discussion in the healthcare setting, and solutions to midlife sexual problems are out there for the taking”.7
In Sexual Health & Menopause Online: Talking To Your Healthcare Provider About Your Problem the NAMS also note:
Health Topics A-Z
Where may I find Health Topics related to Sexual Health?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find:
Where may I find Links related to Sexual Health?
Your Country may have Links similar to:
Where may I find the Sources quoted?
You may find the Sources quoted at:
- Sexual Health: Definitions – Sexual Health. World Health Organization https://www.who.int/health-topics/sexual-health#tab=tab_2> Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Sexual Health: Definitions – Sexual Health. World Health Organization https://www.who.int/health-topics/sexual-health#tab=tab_2 Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Sexual Health & Menopause Online: Sexual Problems At Midlife: What’s “Normal”? North American Menopause Society https://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/sexual-problems-at-midlife Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Sexual Health: Summary. Page Last Updated on: 04 April 2021. Topic Last Reviewed: 05 June 2018. MedlinePlus https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sexualhealth.html Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Disagreements About Sex? Time To Talk. 07 March 2020. Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/marriage-counseling/in-depth/health-tip/art-20048803 Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Women’s Sexual Health Matters. Patty Brisben Foundation http://pattybrisbenfoundation.org/sexual-health/what-is-womens-sexual-health/#what Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Sexual Health & Menopause Online. North American Menopause Society https://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online Accessed: 20 April 2021
- Sexual Health & Menopause Online: Talking To Your Health Care Provider About Your Problem. North America Menopause Society https://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems/talking-to-your-healthcare-provider-about-your-problem Accessed: 20 April 2021