Menopause FAQs: Vaginal Atrophy is some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about menopause vaginal atrophy, vulvovaginal atrophy, vaginal dryness and the genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM).
What is vaginal atrophy?
Common or Not
How common is vaginal atrophy?
- “The changes, which may cause dryness, irritation, itching and pain with intercourse are known as the genito-urinary syndrome of menopause (GSM) and can affect up to 50% of postmenopausal women”.
Signs and Symptoms
What may be signs and symptoms of vaginal atrophy?
- Vaginal dryness
- Vaginal burning
- Vaginal discharge
- Genital itching
- Burning with urination
- Urgency with urination
- Frequent urination
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Urinary incontinence
- Light bleeding after intercourse
- Discomfort with intercourse
- Decreased vaginal lubrication during sexual activity
- Shortening and tightening of the vaginal canal”.
In Sex & Relationships: Management & Treatment of Sexual Problems At Menopause – Painful Sex the (Australasian) Jean Hailes for Women’s Health explain:
Treat or Not
Does vaginal atrophy go away on its own?
On page five in the International Menopause Society’s (IMS) patient information leaflet Sexual Wellbeing After Menopause: Physical Wellbeing – Treatments Available published for World Menopause Day: World Menopause Day 2018, available in multiply languages, the IMS note:
What treatment options may be available for vaginal atrophy?
- “Nonhormone Remedies…
- Vaginal Lubricants…
- Vaginal Moisturizers…
- Regular Sexual Stimulation…
- Expanding Your Views of Sexual Pleasure…
- Vaginal Dilators…
- Pelvic Floor Exercises…
- Vaginal Estrogen Therapy…
- An Effective and Safe Treatment…
- Government-Approved Low-Dose Vaginal Estrogen Products…
- Standard Doses of Estrogen Therapy…
- Other Prescription Therapies
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)…”.
Where may I find more Menopause FAQs?
In Menopause FAQs: Expert Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Menopause you may find Menopause FAQS: Menopause Symptoms where the NAMS explain:
Where may I find Menopause FAQs: Menopause and Vaginal Atrophy?
Your Country may have Links similar to:
Where may I find health topics related to Menopause FAQs: Vaginal Atrophy?
In Health Topics A-Z you may find: